Thursday, December 31, 2009

Gardening in December

Ah, December, my sweet friend. You froze our plants, broke a few water fittings, locked vegetables in the soil and then to add mess to anxiety, doused us with rain. But I know your game. I know its all a strategy to make us truly appreciate the few extra milliseconds of sunlight you bless us with each day. Thank you. I look forward to the day when millisecond becomes minute. The dark is leaving us.

This month I partnered with a local high school art teacher to have a sign painted for our gate. He has four students interested in painting in exchange for community service hours. I found a board and paint, and delivered both to the high school before winter break. The colors are to be a jumping off point as I gave the girls artistic freedom after that. I look forward with excitement to see their creation.

A volunteer and I cleared out the wild weed patch between the garden and the store in anticipation of a communal herb patch in the spring. Blackberries don't look so big in the middle of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment